Brand positioning – the All Important USP’s
"Do we really need another skincare brand? I was asked that and the answer is YES. We need challengers, we need innovation, we need performance and we need British Skincare to be a bigger part of British (and then global) beauty sales for the benefit of our economy. That said, it is important to distinguish your brands point of difference via brand positioning and unique selling points (USP’s)."
This presentation looked at some of the different ways this can be done and importantly, communicating those messages:
Maleka Dattu once worked for Clinique, and now has her own skincare brand: Merumaya. This launched in the UK officially in 2013 in John Lewis. She also consults with businesses to help with their business challenges.
Every brand owner comes to their business with some sort of credibility. You may be a great graphic designer? Whatever it is, make sure people know what that is.
BRAND POSITIONING AND USP’S
- Creating differentiation is a MUST - What defines you? Better service/price/presentation/design/efficiency/packaging? Brand design, emotions, sustainability? Make a point of difference and emotional connection that appeals to your intended audience.
- Now communicate that – BE consistant at every opportunity - on social media, in advertising, in meetings with retailers and distributers. Maintain your brands personality!
- We need brands that drive change and innovation, to keep everyone on their toes and drive the industry forward.
- Intergrated process.
What’s our USP’s, rationale and how we got there?
- Health, food and skincare are closely related. Look back across the history. Alternative therapies, organic foods etc.
- We are now moving into integrative health. Preventative cure as well as perfecting. Superfood’s in the food industry to prevent disease. So integrative cosmetics prevent and protect at the same time.
- INTEGRATIVE: to mix, match - Intergrative (story/usp) effective (promise) skincare
- Prevent and perfect anti-aging. Crafted and formulated to get best results.
IMPORTANT ASPECTS & NOTES:
- Brand name
- Tagline – communicates your USP (positioning) and your promise to the customers.
- Be unique - USP! Fill a sweet spot in the category you want to play in!
- Free from? – New point of differentiation’s?
- Cleansing balms – very popular
- Point of difference. Take a product category and apply thought to how your customers would want to use this.
- Every focus groups says they want white, neutral designs for skincare!
- Sustainable/ethical and causes. Lush – campaigners love causes.
- Create your brand to suit a multitude of different channels. Online, qvc, in store, on social media. Best advantage to suit your point of difference!
HOW TO POSITION YOUR BRAND:
- Have a point of view
- Research thoroughly
- Retain expert support where u need it
- Plan price, distribution, and expenses around your brand positioning
- Target your customer and where they shop
- Entice you retailers demonstrating you fill a gap.
- Ask ‘so what’ often
- Communicate your USP’s at every opportunity
- Be true. Have integrity
- Service is one of the best differentiators you have